Health care in the U.S. is very expensive! Therefore, as an international student (F-1 visa), you are REQUIRED to have medical insurance during your studies at Shoreline Community College. You may purchase medical insurance in your home country before departure or purchase insurance through the College.
Shoreline Community College Requirements
If you are purchasing medical insurance through Shoreline Community College:
- The college contracts with Firebird International Insurance, which is provided by HTH Worldwide. The cost of the Firebird International Insurance plan is US$258.75 per quarter and it provides the following coverage. Coverage is also available for child(ren) and spouse during your studies.
- Maximum benefit of U.S. $250,000 per illness or injury
- Coverage anywhere in the world including your home country.
- Medical evacuation back to your home country – Maximum benefit of up to $50,000
- Repatriation of remains – Maximum benefit of up to $50,000
- You will purchase the insurance plan when you register for classes each quarter and pay the premium along with your tuition.
- You are required to attend the Health Care session with a Firebird International Insurance representative during ISOP (new student orientation) and will receive the insurance policy and ID card.
To view complete coverage and policy details, please visit the Firebird International Insurance website www.fiig-insurance.com.
If you are purchasing medical insurance in your home country before departure:
- The College strongly recommends that your insurance plan from your home country meets the following standards of coverage:
- Minimum benefit of $100,000 per illness or injury
- Coverage anywhere in the U.S.
- Medical evacuation back to your home country – Minimum benefit of $25,000
- Repatriation of remains – Minimum benefit of $25,000.
- Upon your arrival (during ISOP – new student orientation), you must show proof of insurance coverage in English.
- You are required to attend the Health Care session during ISOP.