Online Learning Tips

We’re a few weeks into Fall Quarter! Some students are in their third quarter of online learning, and our new students may be starting their first quarter of online learning. No matter how much or how little experience you have with taking your classes online, there are always new tips and tricks that can help you make the most of your learning experience. Check out these tips from some of our International Student Leaders (ISLs)!

Asking For Help:

• “If you have any concerns or problems with studying class materials or reading stuff, remember that you can always find help directly from your instructors, friends, or school services (library, learning centers, online tutoring, etc.). Just emailing, finding them when you need it, you can get help as soon as possible. Don’t delay!” – Kate
  • Go to the teacher’s office hour frequently! It is definitely one of the best ways to get in touch with the professors and ask questions directly during the online learning period.” – Bosco

To-Do Lists and Planning Ahead:

• “Before my day ends, I like to make myself a ‘What should I do tomorrow?’ planner. I would list the bunch of assignments that are due in one up to five calendar days and also specify how long I would spend my time working on that particular task.” – Cheryl
  • “At the beginning of the week or day (your choice!), spend some time to think about what you hope to accomplish each day and estimate how long it will take to complete each task. Try to balance out the workload into a course of five to seven days, and reflect on how well your time was spent each day.” – Sophia
  • “With online classes, there might be more homework and assignments than face-to-face classes since there is a lot of stuff that you have to read on your own and learn. My tip for you is that you need a plan properly about what thing is important and among a lot of work, which ones should be done first. – Kate
  • Setting a clear goal can help you stay motivated and avoid procrastination. Your goals should be specific and easy to measure, such as ‘I will watch the first three videos under week 4 in the module and complete the rough draft for my research paper.'” – Sophia

Learning Style and Environment:

• Find a space at home that is quiet and away from distractions. Though we may be tempted to study/do our homework on our bed, in front of the TV, or near the kitchen, these are not the ideal place for studying. Also, always try to keep your desk as clean as possible to eliminate further distractions. Your study space should have enough lighting and a chair that you are comfortable sitting in. – Sophia
  • “As for me, I love love love to start early. Let’s take one example of my weekly assignment for this quarter, CS 141 long assignment, which is due every Sunday. Background story, I’m just not good at coding and stuff, but I like to do this homework by Tuesday so that I can ask my friend to help me in case I miss something or if my program doesn’t work. I would finish my task by Thursday to ask for my instructor’s feedback, and she would generously help me and return her feedback in less than one day. By then, I would receive a rough look at my assignment’s grading scheme, which I would then improve for the better. In the end, I would finalize my code by Friday and still have two more bonus days in case something goes wrong.” – Cheryl
  • Which one is you, early-bird or night-owl? You feel good about studying at what time, morning, afternoon, or evening? Which time do you think is your best time for memorizing things? And of course, which time your brain may work less efficiently?” – Kate

Do you have your own ideas and advice for others? Leave them in the comments below! Good luck everyone and remember, we are here to help! Have a great Fall Quarter!