Student Blog Post: Tio “Aimee” Runtukahu, Indonesia

The following blog post was written by Tio “Aimee” Runtukahu, a current student from Indonesia who is a student worker in International Education. Read on to learn more about her time at Shoreline and her experience as a student worker!

Aimee is a student office assistant in International Education (IE).

I started working in the International Education (IE) Department in the Summer of 2020 as a student assistant to fellow international students. My position tasked me to help with the front desk during Express Advising. Moreover, creating small events and reaching out to new students during orientations. Since starting my position in IE, the campus has been fully online due to the pandemic. However, despite this, I am very grateful to have the chance to work in the office as it had allowed me to interact with many people daily.

My current project is creating an engaging short video for Shoreline students. Since we have been fully online, many international students have not met some of the current staff and student workers for so long. From my experience of going to Shoreline during its face-to-face operation from Fall 2019 to partial Winter 2020, the campus has had a very welcoming environment where everyone was so nice and friendly. Given that we no longer have the luxury to go to campus every day and meet with one another, having a video with lots of new and familiar faces would invite all current international students to keep on being engaged with the school. Hope you will enjoy this video!

Being a student at Shoreline is a very adventurous and exciting experience for me, and I believe for many of my other peers as well. The campus provides all students with the equal opportunity to gain more experiences. I took some of these opportunities to volunteer and work on campus and one of which is being a student assistant in the IE Department. What I love about working in the IE Department is how I got to keep on meeting new students and friends during the pandemic through working on campus before and now remotely. Moreover, I also got a lot of chances to show my creativity by hosting small online events for the college, like the Instagram Cooking Competition during the Summer!

It’s true that juggling a job while being a full-time student is challenging, and what makes working for Shoreline so enjoyable is the fact how everyone is so understanding and professional. Another thing that I would cherish from working in the IE Department is how I got to learn so much from everyone to be a part of a professional team and be more organized with my schedules and responsibilities.

Wanting to pursue my studies at Shoreline Community College meant that I had to leave my hometown Balikpapan, Indonesia to Seattle. It was not an easy experience to go through, however, meeting so many incredible fellow international students as well as American students had kept me away from feeling homesick. Aside from other Shoreline students, I had also found all the staff members, teachers, and other workers to be super kind and helpful. This welcoming and supportive environment has made me fall in love with Shoreline and made me very proud to be a part of it. Thus, as a current student worker, I am hoping to create that same atmosphere and environment for other international students!

Thank you, Aimee, for your hard work as an International Education Office Assistant! We are excited to see your video project when it is complete.