Meet International Peer Mentors 2012-13

The International Peer Mentors (IPMs) are current international students who are here to welcome and introduce you to the vibrant campus life of Shoreline Community College. You’ll see them at Orientation, other special events, and usually whenever you visit the International Education office.

IPM

Caroline Carliang, Indonesia   Caroline

Hello! My name is Caroline Carliang. I came to Shoreline in Fall 2012 and have been working towards my associate degree in Business ever since. I’m very excited to welcome you to Shoreline Community College! Studying abroad is a precious opportunity, there is always something new that I learn every day from my encounters with other students from various countries and the International Peer Mentors are here to help you to enhance your experience. The friendly staffs, faculties, students and the rich resources at Shoreline Community College are also ready to assist you in your academic journey. You will be well supported in pursuing your goals while still having a lot of fun! To me, being a student at Shoreline Community College has been a life changing experience and I hope it will be for you too!

I enjoy my campus activities and clubs!

I like being a part of the campus’ economic & political club, WP&DSS, where I get to learn and share my view on current issues. I also like to be in the Golf Club, where I can go to the driving range and practice golf swings (for free!). Other than that, I’ve always enjoyed all the events hosted by IPMs, such as Halloween and Cultural Fair, even before I become involved in organizing them.

My Food Choices…

The PUB’s coffee stand where I can study while sipping iced mocha. Central Market where I can get gyudon when I’m bored of cafeteria’s menu, and of course, the International Education office where I can meet all the nice staffs whom always help me with my concerns.

Classes at Shoreline are awesome!

All the classes that I have taken have been great! I have always felt challenged to think and do beyond what I previously think I’m capable of. The professors are very friendly that I can still chat with them even after I take the class.

Ching Man (Jasmine) Chau, Hong KongJasmine

Hello everyone, welcome to Shoreline! My name is Jasmine Chau. I came to Shoreline in Fall 2012 and I am currently majoring in Public Health. It was a good choice for me to study abroad to Shoreline Community College. Here I meet bright welcoming smiles from advisors and friends from various countries. You are able to experience wonderful cultural diversity here. What I like the most is Shoreline Community College’s green campus. Whenever you are heading to class or the library, the vision of green trees helps lift up your academic stress. As International Peer Mentors, we are here for you to achieve academic success and overcome cultural difficulties, so feel free to talk to me if you have any questions! I hope you also enjoy the green campus and keep track of our fun events. I am so excited to know you more, hope to see you soon!

Exercise at the gym helps me keep fit!

I really enjoy the Zumba dance and yoga class at the gym building. It is a free walk-in class opened to all students. Yoga class is on Monday and Wednesday at 12:30, Zumba dance is on Tuesday and Thursday at 12:30. I am too lazy to go to YMCA to work out, so these classes are perfect for me. Having a stressful study life, it is healthy to do some exercise to relax. It is very effective because every time. I came out from the class, I feel refreshed and joyful, even my body seems lighter (maybe because I “squeezed” my sweat out of my body like a towel). The teachers are nice and energetic, I sometimes invited my friends to join me in the class as well. However, since the classes do not do much promotion, people rarely know there are such free fun classes on campus.

Most comfortable place on campus…

My favorite place to go in my free time is the fish bowl. The fish bowl is a quiet room in our PUB, perfect for doing homework and resting. I like sleeping there a lot! Sometimes after a long class, I feel really tired and fish bowl is the most suitable place to take a rest because the chairs inside is really comfortable and the light is dim, it is sometimes pretty quiet too. I like to just lay down on a chair and close my eyes. However, it is not called fish bowl for no reason. It is like a tank. The outside wall is made up of glass so people can see through it, so people passing the corridor and stare at you inside the fish bowl, sometimes you might feel like a gold fish.

My favorite Drama class

I love my classes in Shoreline, especially my Drama class this quarter. At first, I didn’t like the time the class is offered because it is from 3:00-5:20, making it is a long and late class. However, as time passed by, I found it is interesting to perform on stage as an actor. It is a good way to build confidence and also a way to improve public speaking when you are doing a monologue (to me, a monologue is even harder than a speech). More importantly, more than half of the class are new international students. I got a chance to know them more personally make new friends. So even though it is long, the time flies when I am taking that class.

Aigerim (Angie) Shintemirova, Kazakhstan

Angie

Hi everyone! My name is Aigerim, and I am from Kazakhstan. I came here Winter 2013 to pursue a degree in Electrical Engineering. Honestly, studying at Shoreline Community College is one of the best decisions that I have ever made. It expanded my knowledge so much! I have learned a lot about people from all over the world, their cultures and interests, and I keep exploring new things every day. When I came here, I didn’t know anyone and my English was not perfect. But then, I found so many opportunities for my personal growth. There are lots of clubs and organizations where I have meet amazing people. Even in class, I have made really good friends. What I like the most is that teachers and staff always greet you with a warm smile and try to understand all the difficulties that we face as international students. They helped me feel more comfortable around campus and get to know the American culture better. As an International Peer Mentor, I will do my best to provide possibilities for you to have wonderful college experiences. I am so excited to meet you all on campus. Say hello when you walk by!

Make friends and have fun!

Shoreline Community College is a great place for exploring your talents and interests. There are numerous events throughout the year as well as various student clubs. I, personally, try to participate in everything I have time for. It’s so rewarding because you will always make new friends and have fun. For example, I usually go to the gym on Fridays to play badminton. I’m not good at sports, but I enjoy these times in the mornings when I can meet my friends and release stress from a study week. It’s usually from 9:30am to 2:00pm, and you can borrow the racquets there, so no need to carry it around campus.

I love Shoreline’s library!

I spend a lot of time in the library and in the PUB while studying for my classes and socializing. If I really want to concentrate on studies, I prefer going to the Sanctuary, but it’s usually too quiet for me and makes me sleepy. In my spare time, I like hanging out with friends in Downtown and University district, watching old movies, and visiting coffee shops.

My sweet classes…

The classes here are just great basically because of excellent professors. They are always ready to help and share their experiences. Also, the classroom atmosphere is friendly so it’s easy to participate in discussions no matter the topic. So, yeah, I love classes here!

Sundong (Jay) Park, South KoreaJay

Hello, my name is Jay Park. I am Korean but I grew up in Japan. I came to Shoreline Community College in Spring 2013, and I am now majoring in Business. When I decided to come to the United States I had a difficult time deciding which school to attend. Finally I came to Shoreline Community College, and now I think it was the greatest decision I’ve made in my entire life. We receive many kinds of academic supports, such as several tutoring centers and the International Education Office. Also, all the professors here are all professional, so students can learn what they want to learn deeply. Besides academic supports, Shoreline Community College is surrounded by such beautiful nature, and students enjoy participating with activities such as clubs and sports. I’m quite excited to be an International Peer Mentor and to see new coming students. I’m looking forward to seeing you on our wonderful campus!

“Open Gym Day”

The activity I like the most is “open gym day” which is on Friday. On that day, students can use the gym freely, so we usually go to the gym and play whatever sports we want to play. I go to the gym on Fridays and play basketball.

My secret with English writing…

I think the best place in our campus is the “writing learning studio.” When we have problems with English, we can use that studio. There are several tutors there, and we can study with them for free. I usually go there to practice my English.

Professors and staffs are very helpful!

Professors at Shoreline are knowledgeable, wise, and flexible! Also, on our campus we have many staffs to help students with choosing the classes. We have many International Education staffs and academic advisors who are here to help students!

Yilin (Lynn) Wang, ChinaLynn

Hi everyone, I am Lynn, from Shanghai China. I came to Shoreline Community College in Fall Quarter 2012. My major is Business. Studying here has been a wonderful experience since I learned a lot. With the help of ESL classes, I have improved my English skills dramatically. When I first came here, I didn’t even know the meaning of “essay.” However, I am studying English 102, and had good scores in my previous English classes. Furthermore, I gained a lot working experience at Shoreline Community College. I used to work with Outreach team in the International Education office. I was the Program Assistant who helped find and connect with prospective students in China. Thanks to the job, I know more about the higher education system in Untied States. In addition, I developed my interpersonal skills and know how to communicate with the others efficiently. These are precious lessons in my own life. I believe that my working experience at Shoreline will help in the future. It is my pleasure to see more international students come to Shoreline to further study. I hope all of you consider this experience as an adventure on your new journey. It is possible that you will have to face a lot of problems. However,

ISOP, ISOP, ISOP….

First of all, I like ISOP (International Student Orientation Program) most. During my own ISOP, I knew many people and found new friends. As a newcomer, ISOP really help me to adapt myself to the new environment. When I am working as an IPM during the ISOP, this activity become more meaningful. It improved my interpersonal skills and leadership. That is why I like ISOP. Also, there are many fun activities around campus, such as the Talent Show and Halloween Festival, which make Shoreline CC life more vivid.

Enjoy our library a lot!

My favorite place is the library. It is a quiet and friendly place for students to study. Librarians are always there to help everyone. It is really helpful to talk with a librarian when students have problems with their research papers.

Qualified, experienced, and knowledgeable professors…

I like my class and professor. They are qualified and most of them are experienced. Classes at Shoreline are really interesting and helpful. We have a variety of activities during the whole quarter. These activities do help students become more knowledgeable.

Tang (Patrick) Chan, Hong Kong

Patrick

Hi, my name is Patrick from Hong Kong. I am currently majoring in Business. I am really excited to be an International Peer Mentor this year. So far, it has been an amazing year for me, from attending classes to joining all different kinds of events. Studying at Shoreline Community College has been one of the best decisions of my life. Besides providing academic support, Shoreline Community College also provides a lot of opportunities for students to participate on campus and expand their social circle. I remember that when I first came here in Fall 2012, I felt nervous and was afraid of talking to new people. However, after getting help from the previous IPMs and staffs from the International Education office, all of this nervousness went away quickly. I feel much more comfortable with meeting people, including faculty and staff here because they are all friendly and nice to everyone. You are always welcoming of questions. No matter where you are from or what you need, we are all here to support you in reaching your goals. I, as an IPM, am looking forward to meeting you, and starting this new journey with you.

Badminton For All!

Something I like to do on campus is to play badminton every Friday afternoon. Sometimes, I get so stressed out from my homework and classes, I and play some sports with friends and hang out with them. We often go to some places that we have not been to before. Sometimes, we found something really interesting or food that are unexpectedly tasty. I like to explore more about Seattle.

Teachers? Wonderful!

I really love my classes at Shoreline CC. My teachers are super nice to answer any questions I ask. They take into consideration different students’ English level and often adjust their teaching styles to let international students better assimilate with the American education system.

Hansen Kwan, IndonesiaHansen

Hello everyone, my name is Hansen and I am an international student from Jakarta, Indonesia. I came to Shoreline Community College in Winter 2013 and right now majoring in Business. Studying abroad in Shoreline is one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. Here, I’ve gained so much knowledge and experiences. Shoreline Community College provides us with a lot of programs, resources and events to support our studies here. The professors and staffs are very friendly, helpful and supportive. Additionally, it makes us feel comfortable with the new environment. On the other hand, Shoreline has a diverse student population, so it gives us the opportunities to learn more about cultural differences and build more tolerance with it. The variety numbers of club that Shoreline has made me feel more connected with other students and not make me feel homesick. In the same way, Shoreline Community College provides a great learning environment to ensure us to be successful in our college life. As an International Peer Mentor, I just want to say welcome to Shoreline Community College. I hope you will have a great time studying here. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions. Good luck and wish you all the best!

Global Economics Event:

The activity I like the most is the Global Economic Event, where there are lots of guest speakers coming to Shoreline and share information about their own countries. This event really updated my knowledge about worldwide economic issues. If you are in business major, it is a good opportunity to learn more about international economic and political issues.

Professors, Always Prepared!

I really like the classes and professors at Shoreline. They’ve really prepared me for transferring to a university. Moreover, the professors are really helpful, nice and knowledgeable. So don’t hesitate to come and visit to ask questions.

PUB: Short and Simple

I think my favorite place on campus is the PUB. My reason is because we can hang with our friends.

Advertisements

Tags: ,

Categories: Campus Life, Meet Our Student Leaders

Subscribe

Connect with us on any of your social profiles