Meet your IPMs: Hikari & Aliya!

The International Peer Mentors for the 2017-2018 school year are excited to begin working with all of our wonderful students. Learn a little more about two of the eight new IPMs below!

Hikari Akasaki (Japan)

07-18-17 Hikari

Major: Biochemistry

Favorite Food: Vegan pizza

Why she became an IPM: I thought IPM would be a great opportunity for me to make new friends, learn new things, and gain a new experience.

What she likes best about studying and living here: I like the professors and staff at Shoreline, they are very nice and helpful. Also, it is easy to get vegan food around the area.

Advice for students to be happy and successful at Shoreline: I think the key to being successful at Shoreline is to meet new people and have an open mind.

Come talk to Hikari if you know a good vegan restaurant! One of her favorites is Wayward Vegan Café in the University District.

Aliya Aliyeva (Kazakhstan)

07-18-17 Aliya

Major: Public Health

Dream Job: Working at the Nazarbayev University Medical Center

Shoreline CC Clubs: Adventure Builder Club, Just Dance Club, Art Club, and Vice President of the Shoreline Community College Vocal Association.

Why she became an IPM: From my first International Student Orientation it was my goal to become an IPM because I like to meet new people, especially from different countries. Besides that, I know how sometimes it can be lonely when you are the only student from your country, so I want to make Shoreline even more welcoming and interesting. Feel free to talk to me any time you want!

Advice for students to be happy and successful at Shoreline: Do not be afraid of making new friends (both international and domestic)! They will not bite you!

Come talk to Aliya if you love to watch TV shows!

– Meg Humphrey
Photos by 204 Photographers

Advertisements

Tags:

Categories: Meet Our Student Leaders

Subscribe

Connect with us on any of your social profiles