Meet Your IPMs: Nicholas and Farrell!

The International Peer Mentors for the 2017-2018 school year are excited to begin working with all of our wonderful students. Learn a little more about two of the eight new IPMs below!

Man Ho “Nicholas” Chu (Hong Kong)

07-25-17 Nicholas

Major: English Literature

Favorite Food: Curry is my favorite and I tried to eat it for a whole week…

Shoreline CC Clubs/activities: Deputy Secretary of Vocal Association, President of Hong Kong Student Association, and writing tutor.

Why he became an IPM: When I first came to Shoreline, I got help from the previous IPMs. I know when international students come here, they would feel helpless. I want to help them with my experiences.

Why he chose Shoreline: When I was in Hong Kong, I met the advisors. They gave me useful suggestions and helped me plan my academic career when we first met. I felt like Shoreline really cares about students.

Advice for students to be happy and successful at Shoreline: Be more active in school!!! Being more active can help you make more friends and gain wonderful school experience. Friends can help you no matter your personal problems or academic problems.

Come talk Nicholas if you have any problems in school or if you have interesting stories to share!

Farrell Fileas (Indonesia)

07-25-17 Farrell

Major: Computer Science

Favorite Food: Buy 1 get 1 Domino’s deal

Shoreline CC Clubs: Adventure Builders Club, Engineering Club

How he spends his free time: Aside from socializing or eating, I generally engage myself in musical activities. I can play the piano and guitar, so I switch between those two instruments. I also spend quite some time in church, and yes – I do play those instruments on most Sunday Services!

Why he became an IPM: I believe every student in Shoreline should be warmly welcomed. I can closely relate to the mixed feeling of joy and sadness experienced by students who came from abroad to the United States to study. I’m always looking to improve myself and to assist you in your times of need. I’m here to provide support for all of you, so don’t hesitate to approach me for questions, or just for chit-chat!

Advice for students to be happy and successful at Shoreline: Keep an open mind toward the beliefs and opinions of others. You will be integrated to the international community more than ever in your life, so don’t waste the opportunity! It’s also never a bad idea to maintain a good GPA.

Come talk to Farrell if you want to see a magic trick (he can do card magic)!

– Meg Humphrey
Photos by 204 Photographers

Advertisements

Tags:

Categories: Meet Our Student Leaders

Subscribe

Connect with us on any of your social profiles